Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Different Take on Things

A new skin, a new start. A different take on things now.

I have been told that I have been wasting time, digging a hole with a little spade in the desert instead of searching for the oasis. I will stop that now. Wasting time that is. (And sorry if I had wasted your time with mine)

I shall be brave. I shall be generous. I shall be patient.

A new chapter starts now.

I believe I had not properly explained what happened in the past year. On how I came to own a very cool patisserie with a very cool Chef Y. It is quite a miracle. I never would have thought Chef Y, a master chef from Japan, would actually agree to a partnership with his apprentice, a Singaporean girl who was barely 21 at that time. ME! Wow. I'm greatly honored. Still am.

What happened was.

I returned to Singapore, having freshly graduated from Le Cordon Bleu, to find work, and I found it at G. Patisserie where I met Chef Y. I had a merry time there for 3 months, learning to bake commercially while learning to joke professionally as well. Then the time came when I had to return to Le Cordon Bleu to complete my management course. I was so afraid then that I would loose this second family that I had grown so close to, and that includes Chef Y's wife and Chef Y's two other apprentices, Chef W and AJ.

Hence, I asked the question. It was not easy. I had to ask many times. There was a language barrier. (Me no speak Japanese, he no speak English) There was the financial security issue. (I am very fortunate to have a rich and very giving mother) Mostly importantly, whether or not I was a compatible partner. (GP was a terrible experience for Chef Y) I waited three months.

In the end, Chef Y said yes. Therefore we now own this very cool patisserie on a hill.

Three cheers!

- End

No comments: