Friday, September 2, 2011

London Day 5

The fifth day in London brought us to Portobello Market, Nottinghill.

Portobello Market, in case you don't know, is a mile-long street market sells a wide variety of goods, clothes, antiques and even food, with different items being sold on different days. It is open every day, except for Sunday. Well, we went on a Saturday, the best time to visit in my opinion, the day where the renowned antique market comes to life, combined with many fashion and second-hand goods stall. All in all, it was the best kind of bargain-shopping you can get.

Hence early morning, we got off at Nottinghill Gate Underground station and walked with the gathering crowd along Portobello Road towards the famous market. Then we chanced upon this dainty little Italian pizzeria, Arancina.

A second breakfast we had.

Sights along Portobello Road.


I am sorry to say that I had not taken any pictures of the market. Not a single one. It seemed that from the moment I entered the first boutique, I had clean forgotten about my Leica.. However, it is my pleasure to inform all those who have not been to Nottinghill that it is exactly the same as in Nottinghill (the movie)!

Lunch was at Gail's, this busy cafe that serves solid sandwiches, salads and soups. Very my kind of cafe.

Potato and leek soup with a hunk of dark rye bread.

Beetroot salad with tuna, sprouts and chickpeas.

Chamomile tea.

As you can see, shopping took a whole day. The next available picture I have is of dinner, which we had at a très French restaurant near our hotel at Marylebone street, La Ratatouille.

Half dozen escargot baked in garlic butter.

Chef's salad of baby carrots, radicchio, duck liver pate and a fried egg.

Steak Frites.

Fondant chocolat.

Bon appetit.

End.

No comments: