Sunday, March 1, 2009

Heirloom Tomatoes

An heirloom tomato (also called heritage tomato in the UK) is an heirloom plant, an open-pollinated (non-hybrid) cultivar of tomato. - wikipedia.org

Which means they should generally be in cultivation for at least a hundred years. So let's take a look what the folks have been eating a century ago.

Red, orange, green, yellow, pink. As a whole, these tomatoes taste great. None of the mass-produced, powdery texture. I was quite surprised by some of the variety I have tried, I never thought tomatoes can be salty, like really salty. I quite like it actually. I thought it will go well in stir-fry.

Beautiful colours too. My conclusion: Folks in the past have it better.

End.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such pretty colours! They're great looking heirloom tomatoes

Heidi said...

Thanks! Your blog looks great. :D