Friday, June 4, 2010

Kazbah

It seemed ages ago that I last had a new post. It's not that I haven't been doing anything. I have in fact, been eating, baking and going out. Just that it takes greater effort to blog nowadays.

Anyways, around two weeks ago, Stella, Elise and I went to Kazbah for dinner. I remember it was a rainy night, Stella just had her first day working at Victoire. Therefore this is sort of a celebratory dinner for her.

Having did my homework reading up on Kazbah on Ja's blog, I have already decided what I wanted to eat. I wanted the lamb that made Ja cried tears of happiness. I want to cry my own tears of happiness too. We had the two course deal, which for $45, you get a mix starter plate to share, a main course and a glass of wine.

The obligatory bread course: two kinds of dukkah (herb and nuts) and olive oil with a single slice of turkish flat bread. I like the dukkah, I love the nut version.

Unfortunately, the lights in Kazbah were not conducive for photography. This is the best I could do... They had an open kitchen.

Kazbah's Mixed Mezze plate to share- (from bottom left, clockwise) Chickpea and raisins with shredded lamb, Honey sesame chicken wings, Crackers and dips (Hummus, Babaganouj, Taramasalata), Tabouleh, Fried Cauliflower with Eggplant Jam, Pinenuts and Yoghurt Tahini Sauce and Tomatoes Stuffed with couscous and mince beef. The babaganouj (pardon me if I got the name wrong) is flavoured with smoked salmon and caviar. It is absolutely divine. It has such a strong smoky flavour and well salted. You alternate with mouthful of the fresh, herby tabouleh. Beautiful. The rest of the starters were really good too. My next favourite is the fried zucchini flowers, followed by the chickpea and lamb. Yumm yumm.


Two whites and one red.
Casablanca Royale
- Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder, Braised Vegetables, Sultana Jam, Couscous and Condiments, usual price $64 for two.
I have to inform you that I did not cry tears of happiness that night.
The lamb was undeniably good, so soft that you can pull the meat apart with a spoon. The braised carrots were so beautifully soft and incredibly sweet. But, but it is not that great. There wasn't enough body to the flavour. Let me explain.
In Heidi's food book, salt should be complimented by sugar, and sugar should be complimented by sour and sometimes bitter. It's like there was something lacking in flavour in the lamb, which was rather disappointing really. I had such high hopes for the lamb.

Couscous, seriously spicy chilli paste, yogurt and pickled lemon, to go with the braised lamb.

Special recommendation: Baked Baby Snapper with Pistachio Samke Hara Sauce. Two words- not fresh, which is the worst you can do to a whole fish.

Overall, despite the flops, we had a good time there. Company was great, waitstaff were friendly and the starters were amazing. If I ever go back, I'd probably be back for their famous breakfast tagines.

Kazbah on Darling

379 Darling Street
Balmain, NSW 2041
Sydney, Australia

Opening Hours:

Breakfast- Tuesday to Sunday: 8am to 3pm
Lunch- Tuesday to Sunday 12 to 3pm
Dinner- Tuesday to Saturday 6pm to late

Phone: (02) 9555 7067


End.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Hey I was here recently as well! Didn't get to try quite as many dishes as you guys did so I might have to go back for more :)

Heidi said...

When did you go? For breakfast or dinner? Their starters were really good. Still dreaming of their smoked salmon hummus...