Thursday, May 13, 2010

Spice I Am

Ja was raving about this Thai restaurant ever since I started school in January. Constantly talking about how good the basil chili pork belly is, how she could eat it every single day if it weren't for her reflux... It was the last straw when she brought me to the restaurant (on our way back from Bourke Street) just to point out to me its location. Okay, I get it. I will go try.

Together with Elise (since Ja was still recovering from reflux, I did not invite her), we took our lunch at Spice I Am. Not to be confused with Spice I Am- The Restaurant (Darlinghurst), though of the same company, this hole-in-the-wall Spice I Am is smaller, friendlier, cheaper. Its dishes are less done-up, which suits me just fine because as long as Thai cuisine is concerned, I'm only interested in the food.

As you can see, the people are sitting pretty close together...

Longan drink, really really good. I think they cook it themselves?

Deep fried whitebait with a sour basil sauce. Really fresh fish, cooked to perfection, crispy. The sauce, wow, is sour, a little spicy and very fragrant. The only thing I didn't like about this dish is: too little sauce!

Kra Pao Moo Gob
Stir fried crispy pork belly with SpiceIam chilli jam, basil and long red chilli- the much raved-about dish and it fully deserves the title. Crispy, tender pork belly, spicy, salty and slightly sweet. I will definitely be back for more.


Shop 1, 90 Wentworth Ave
Surry Hills, 2010

Phone: 02 9280 0928

Opening hours: Tue-Sun 11.30am-3pm; 6-10pm

End.

2 comments:

Simon Leong said...

oh how i miss their crispy pork belly. definitely one of my favourites dishes of theirs. also the duck curry, massamam beef and soft shell crab on papaya salad :-)

Heidi said...

Yes! their pork belly is definitely one of the best in sydney. I have yet to try the rest though..thanks for the recommendations!