Friday, October 10, 2008

Marzipan Modeling

New term! New teachers! hahaha, and new stuff to learn. The first week of superior patisserie we are doing marzipan modeling. Well, the skills are quite similar to playing with playdough except that this time we are making edible products. Marzipan, the playdough edible substitute, is made from mixing finely ground almonds and icing sugar together. It is usually used to make decorative show pieces for gateaux. I do find it quite repulsive though the europeans like it alot. To me it just taste like raw sweet dough, urghh. Herve says they even make petit fours out of marzipan, which is to eat small pieces of marzipan by itself.

So, with marzipan, your imagination is the limit. You can make whatever you think of with marzipan. Ofcourse, your sense of colour has to be reasonable too because you have to colour your marzipan since the original colour of it is dirt white.

My fruits!Chef Herve's farm of animals and santa.
This is his interpretation of French chefs. It does seems that the criteria to be a French chef is to have a long and curly moustache and be male. I don't see boobs in marzipan figurines.
You can also make a plaque with marzipan. Decorate with marzipan roses. By Chef Herve.
My cluster of professions. Santa is Malay and has blue eyes, looks possessed to me. haha, I was rushing for time so I anyhow picked a colour and paste it on. Same with the chef, he is Malay and has light brown eyes. Penguin looks the most normal out of the trio. I even made a dead fish for him. To the right is my roses and carnations on the left. :D
End.

No comments: