Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Yellow

Sydney 10 best patisserie: 2. Yellow. It operates as a café as well as a patisserie. You come for the desserts and stay for the date tart. - Time Out Sydney

I really really want to try the date tart. The legendary date tart that costs $15 a slice, which I am willing to pay because it is the original The Quay's signature dessert. And I heard it is very very good. Therefore, Ja and I, hopeful bright-eyed young girls, stood at the cake counter for a long time. We saw many pastries, beautiful pastries, but we didn't see the date tart. Perhaps it is in the menu? Such sacred item is not for public viewing? No such luck. After a polite inquiry, we were told that the chef makes the date tart only when she has the time... not even a specific date so that we know when to come back for the tart. =(

Single Origin Cappuccino.

Flourless chocolate cake, $10. It might look plain and way too expensive for the tiny serve, but don't be deceived by its looks. Flourless: from the word, you would expect a dense, rich texture. Guess what, Yellow's version has all the texture of a mousse, except that it is warm, slightly above room temperature. How cool is that. And for all that airy fairy stuff, Ja and I can't even finish half the cake. It is so rich.

Rhubarb tart. I think this it around $10 as well? Dine-in and take-away prices are different. The rhubarb tart is great as well. I love the generous amount of brown sugar on the top of the tart, it sparkles! The sweetness is effectively balanced by the sour rhubarb and maybe strawberry filling. There is dollop of thickened cream at the side (same for the flourless chocolate cake too). I like the cream. I think Ja likes it too. And we both agreed that it goes well with the flourless chocolate cake.

Coconut macaron. Different from your usual macaron, this coconut macaron is more like a meringue with a chewy center, no buttercream filling. I like it! (sorry ja, i didn't know you didn't like coconut in baked products!)


Very happy today because I bought the Bourke Street Bakery Cookbook for $50 at the sunday market. (usual price $69.95) =)

57-50 Macleay St

Potts Point, 2011

Phone 02 9357 3400

End.




2 comments:

Bean Sprout's Cafe said...

haha...I dont like coconut in baked product except this kinda biscuit..hehehe... I think the choco cake is about $14 and the rhubarb tart is about $12?

Heidi said...

Oh,okay. all I remembered was choco cake $10 for take away... poor memory.