Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Balmain

We went to Balmain again the following week, Saturday. The original plan was to visit Glebe's Saturday market. But I changed the plan last minute while riding the bus. I had this feeling that I have not explored the place enough. Turned out that I was right. That bit that we saw the previous week is only the very tip of what Balmain has to offer. This time, after lunch and dessert, we spent 2 whole hours trekking through Darling street of Balmain, visiting the numerous quaint little boutiques and amazing pastry shops. The only thing I have to complain about is I can only shop with my eyes and nose. Mum has made it very clear to me that I am to be stingy with spending. (I guess she was a little shocked at my expenditure during my first three months. haha.) I am also discouraged from taking up extra curricular activities (ie. Aikido and even French lessons) simply because it is extra expenditure. Well, what happened to: use this opportunity to learn as much as you like?

I am going to sidetrack a little. I am going to justify my spending expenditure. I admit, I am not a frugal person. I cannot be. Simply because I am not brought up that way. On the other hand, I do not spend excessively. I do not shop for fashion, I am not into alcohol and I definitely do not gamble. The only thing that I probably blow most of my money on is grocery food. I eat very well, something I take from my parents. My father is all for freshness and my mum is all for organic. Since both is so readily available and of a higher eating quality than in Singapore, why not indulge?

Eating out is also another big expenditure for me, which I am currently exercising restraint over. I am in a foreign country. I want to try out the food culture in Sydney. I want to taste the best of pastry. I want to sample the best of cuisine. Hell, I even want to sip the best of coffee in Sydney. (I never touch any form of coffee in Singapore.) Which is really really difficult if I also want to save money like crazy. What I really want to say is, yes, I will control my spending but please, do give me some freedom to do what I really like: to eat really well.

Owells, let me now show you how I spend my precious allowance in this wonderful Balmain.

The Saturday flea market which sells all kinds of second-hand goodies. Nothing to tempt me there.
Lunch. We decided on this semi-gothic cafe due to it's popularity. Look at the paintings on the wall. Pretty unappetising huh?
Skittles!

Ricotta cheese ravioli bolognese and salmon risotto. Taste bland with baby food texture. We don't like it at all.


At Strudel Baron Balmain, bread custard pudding and lime brulee tart. We came here to soothe our dissatisfied palette knowing that Strudel Baron will certainly deliver. It did but comparing with the branch at Drummoyne, we found out that we liked Drummoyne better.


After almost 3km of walking, I can't be bothered with picture-taking anymore. haha. This is Balmain Court House, you know, where lawyers argue in front of a judge. It is beautiful, quite similar to the subordinate court in Singapore.

End.

No comments: