Thursday, November 6, 2008

Feuille D'automne, Buche de Noel, L'exotic Charlotte

CONGRATULATIONS BARRACK OBAMA FOR WINNING THE ELECTION!

Yeah, I am super happy for America, and the world now. It is funny, and equally as scary, how one man can affect so much. Well, Mr. Obama, thank you.

Okay, this week is happiest week in Superior Patisserie. We got to make gateaux! hahaha! Sustainable, edible stuff at last.

So this is the Buche de Noel (Christmas Log Cake) demonstrated by Chef Herve. It tastes quite nice though it is different from the Singporean version. Here, a cointreau mousse, chocolate mousse and the almond dacquoise are used in the log cake instead of the swiss roll. Therefore, it gives a lighter texture and is much sweeter. Though I like both versions, I do prefer the swiss roll version because it gives more substance. Airy stuff, blahhh.

This beautiful cake is feuille d'automne, which translates to autumn leaves in French. It is made with 3 discs of almond meringue, sandwiched with chocolate mousse. The outer decorations are constructed entirely with chocolate, tempered and untempered, to give the different effects. It is so chocolatey that my mind went blank, all I could think of is to sink my teeth into that velvety chocolate mass. -But Chef Keith wants to keep it for the afternoon tea session. No tasting...

L'Exotic Charlotte. It is a complicated cake with many conponents to prepare. First, Chef Herve made the stenciled joconde, which is the green wave pattern you see. Then he made 2 discs of hazelnut and almond meringue. Next, a ring of mango jelly, followed by coconut mousse and the chocolate shavings. Oh ya, and a chocolate ganache. A container of poached pineapple and mango was made the day before. Below, a plated dessert version of the charlotte with Chef Herve's signature chocolate shavings.

L'Exotic Charlotte. Doesn't taste like much though. Mango jelly hasn't got enough mango, coconut mousse is drowning in whipped cream. But at least I got to try it. :D

Presenting my cute Buche de Noel! Mushroom and snowman complete! This is quite easy to make, though time-consuming.

My feuille d'automne. My chocolate "leaves" are so ugly!!! Now I know why we have to temper chocolate. Untempered chocolate is so hard to work with! But I will conquer them all, haha!

End.

No comments: