Sunday, November 9, 2008

Mamak

This is my second time to mamak now. Together with Sam and Stella, we ate $75 worth of prata food. Hias... it's sooo expensive compared to Singapore but we still go because it is sooo good.

I have never tried the satay, so we ordered half dozen of chicken satay. It is good as usual, not dry, nicely seasoned. The best part of it is the peanut sauce. Generous roughly chopped peanut in a nicely balanced curry sauce (not too sweet, not too spicy). Though it is painful to admit, Mamak does it even better than most of the satay hawker in Singapore.

We also ordered Maggi Goreng, something you will only find in Malaysia. This is also really good. The maggi is cooked to al dente, then I guess it is stir-fried in belaccan chilli. Even after stir-frying, the noodle still has got a bit of crunch, I was really impressed.

Kari kambing, lamb curry, Sam's choice. Though I have eaten better (in Malacca), mamak's version is not bad at all. I like.

As for prata, we had 2 plain prata and 1 egg and onion prata. I don't know why Singapore and Malaysia have different names for prata. In Malaysia, they call it cenai, therefore it is also called cenai here, since Mamak is a Malaysian restaurant. Prata is here is a little disappointing. It is not crispy, and I do think they could have cooked it abit more. I want Singpore, Jalan Kayu prata!


Heh heh, we are super full. But, ofcourse, we can't leave without having...


Desserts!

Prata kaya with ice-cream. Normal tasting, though I wonder where they got their kaya.

This one's special and quite popular, thats why we ordered it. This prata had margarine and sugar enveloped in within, then it is cooked for 20mintues. The end result is a super caramelised prata. The entire prata is crisp with caramel sugar. By the time the prata came, I was too bloated to fully appreciate it. I shall have it the next time. :D

End.

No comments: