Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Eclairs

Tuesday was a pleasant day despite my not so successful eclairs. We watched Iron Man! haha! My first movie viewing ever in the land of sun and beaches. And we (Stella and I) had the whole cinema to ourselves. A giant screen (from floor to ceiling) cinema. For $9.50 per ticket. Yes, that is the only drawback. Freaking expensive movie ticket even on a "discounted" day.

Eclairs, eclairs. They will be part of our assessment. :( This little pastry that people don't usually think about is very labour intensive and time-consuming to do by hand. We have to make the choux pastry first, bake, then make the pastry cream, cool, then make the fondant icing and assemble all three of them together. I think eclairs are under-appreciated.

Do you know how hard it is to pipe a perfect eclair finger? Pipe it too thin, you'll get a lady finger. Too thick, you'll get a swollen finger. Not attractive at all. Plus you have to pipe it straight. We definitely do not want worms for eclairs.
Fill in the flavoured pastry cream and glaze the eclair top with flavoured fondant. By Chef Karin.
Plate and decorate it. By Chef Karin.
By Heidi. :D My not so successful eclairs. I had swollen fingers for eclairs, my fondant was too runny and my pastry cream was too warm to be used so I took kimmy's. At least they look alright.
Essentials.
End.

1 comment:

mitch said...

please email me your eclair and cream puff recipe too at mpm_alcon@yahoo.com. thanks a lot.