Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Moulded Chocolates.


I am officially down with a cold. Doctor certified and all. Forbidden to ingest any form of sweetness, fried-ness, spicy-ness and bake-ness. Yup, and we are doing chocolates today, the extreme sweet end on a dessert pastry scale.

Moulded chocolates. We prepared two kinds of ganache the day before: wattleseed ganache and coffee ganache, which are to be used as fillings for our moulded chocolates. Chocolates, chocolates. I used to be pretty scared of them. They are messy, hard to control and result in alot of wastage. (good chocolates are EXPENSIVE.) Yes. In Le Cordon Bleu, they only use couverture, a high quality, melt in your mouth chocolate that is made from cocoa butter, cocoa powder and sugar. Other kinds of chocolates, especially compound chocolate, are basically rubbish bin inhabitants.

We first tempered the couverture (dark, white or milk, your choice. I chose dark.), melting, setting and reheating, to wake our chocolates up so they can be easily handled. Tempering is not easy (for me personally) but if you get it, you get it. And I got it today. (yesterday was a mess) :D After you tempered your chocolates, the rest is quite easy. Coat the inside of your mould with chocolate, pipe in ganache and put the lid on.

This is the first coat of the mould. By Chef Karin.
Piping in the ganache. Chef Karin.
After you put on the lid, chuck it in a cool place for the chocolates to set. Then tap it out. Tadah! All Chef Karin's.
These babies belong to me and my bench partners. heehee. A success! Wooohooo!


I didn't even try one though. Cold, stupid cold. My gums are bleeding, my throat is infected and I am having an internal fever. haha.

End.

No comments: