Monday, May 5, 2008

Plain Scones

Lo and behold, my first day at Le Cordon Bleu de Sydney. :D Lessons starts at 7.30 in the morning, lucky us since we stay so near the school. Demonstration class from 7.30 to 10.00am, followed be a half an hour break. Practical starts at 10.30 to 2pm. Theory class from 3 to 5pm. My schedule for basic patisserrie goes like this: Mon (demo, practical, theory), Tues (demo, practical), Wed (demo, practical), and that's about it. Free for the rest of the week. That's why I may consider taking up a short gardening course or wine studies or expresso short course. I am too free.

That's me in my Le Cordon Bleu uniform without the blue neckerchief and apron. I look like a little Malay. Haha.
That's my Monday chef, Keith Poole. He's English.
Today's lesson on scones, which I managed successfully. We used the creaming method for the scones with different glazes.
Freshly baked from the oven. Toppings: cinnamon sugar and egg wash.
The left over trimmings can be used to make a crown of scones. Trimmings cannot be worked more than three times or the gluten in th flour will develop and the scones will become tough. So as to not waste the trimmings, we made this super traditional crown of scones which no one makes them now.

Plain scones with piped chattily cream. Absolute heaven. A whole row of them. I now know why Le Cordon Bleu produces such good students. The teachers here are all out to help you. They actually encourage you to make mistakes so that you can learn better. How cool is that?
Dinner cooked by my roommate cum classmate, Stella. Canned pork knuckle cooked with rice. Really easy to make and yummy too. You guys can try it.
End.

No comments: